Plan Your Visit
We are looking forward to seeing you at Bascom Palmer. As our patient, you will receive the finest eye care available. Please review the information provided below to help prepare for your visit. You may also download the brochure
Please bring these items to your appointment:
- Prescription eyeglasses
- Contact lenses
- Sunglasses (for light sensitivity after examination)
- List of all your current medications (including eye drops)
- Pertinent medical records
- A photo ID
- Names, e-mail address and fax numbers for your non-University of Miami physicians
- Proof of insurance coverage
- Authorization or referral forms if required by your insurance company
- Questions for your doctor
Because of the complexity and thoroughness of the examinations, please allow four hours for your appointment:
Your comprehensive appointment may include an assessment by an ophthalmic technician, diagnostic imaging testing, your doctor’s or provider’s examination and possible course of treatment. We are committed to providing the highest standard of care.
Your Comprehensive Appointment
- Arrival and registration (15 minutes): Upon arrival at your scheduled time, you will begin the registration process, including updating your health insurance and payment information. Registration kiosks may be available for your use.
- We will ask you to register for MyUHealthChart to access your medical records online. It provides new, convenient methods of communication with your doctor’s office. You can renew prescriptions, send messages and request appointments – all online. You may also elect to receive notifications by text message for future appointments.
- Ophthalmic Technician Initial Assessment (60 minutes): An ophthalmic technician will initiate preliminary assessment (30 minutes) and dilation of your eyes (30 minutes).
- Diagnostic Imaging Testing (60 minutes, depending on type of testing required): You may also be directed for diagnostic imaging testing.
- Your Doctor’s or provider’s visit (Approximate duration: 15 to 60 minutes based upon the complexity of your eye condition): Your doctor will meet with you for the examination, diagnosis and explanation of treatment, and to discuss your questions or concerns.
- Treatment (30 minutes): Based upon your doctor’s diagnosis, additional treatments may be performed at this time.
- Check-Out (15 minutes): Future appointments will be scheduled and payments will be made at this time.
Payments and Insurance/Health Plan Coverage
Co-payments and deductibles are collected at the time of your appointment. We accept cash, personal check, MasterCard, Visa & AMEX. If you have questions regarding your insurance coverage, contact your insurance carrier directly. You may also call the UHealth Central Insurance Verification Office at 305-243-2031.
If you must change or cancel your appointment, please call our Patient Appointment Office at 305-243-2020 or 888-845-0002 (toll-free) to schedule a new appointment.
We invite patients traveling from outside the United States to use our International Concierge Service.
Our team is committed to deliver a courteous, helpful and respectful patient experience throughout your appointment. We hope to meet or exceed your expectations each time you visit Bascom Palmer Eye Institute.
At Bascom Palmer, interpreters are available at no cost to assist communication between health care providers and patients whose primary language is not English.
Bascom Palmer also has Video Remote Interpretation (VRI), which is a videotelecommunication service that uses devices such as web cameras or videophones to provide sign language or spoken language interpreting services in place of an interpreter at the location.
Each Bascom Palmer Eye Care Center has VRI devices available for use.